I will start with stating the obvious- I miss you.
We have been friends for almost 6 years, though we all know it is more than that, it is a lifetime of being friends. We used to be inseparable, sharing all our moments together. We have come a long way now from those days. Still I miss them, the bittersweet memories almost tangible. And then there are days when a wave of homesickness leaves me gasping for breath. Because being with you feels like coming home.
Slowly, I have come to accept the reality that there are new priorities in our lives. Our primary mode of communication is now limited to facebook and whatsapp. But this does not mean I don't wish things were different sometimes. That you didn't have to move to other cities, get jobs and have some other people who are more important than us. I still miss you, I will always miss you.
I miss how spending time with you was as easy as picking up phone and telling "we are having lunch together". I miss the way we shared our big dreamy dreams, visions free from realities like marriage, in laws, finances. I know we will make new friends as we grow, but they will never be you.
Life has been moving fast lately, too fast to catch up, and before you know it months go by without any real contact. But whenever we are together, time seems to stop. It is as if we are back to our hostel days gossiping, being silly over a cup of tea. Now we have other topics to discuss, but some part of our hostel days do creep up. We spend hours reminiscing, saying things starting with "remember when..." and laughing till tears roll down our faces.
This friendship will stand through the trails of time because of its steely foundation of cherished memories.
So now whenever we are together, which is not often enough, we talk about how far we have come from those carefree days. We talk about things which were so unreal then- marriage struggles and cranky parents. And then we hug and say goodbye, planning the next time we will be together. Slowly we creep back to our life routine with the mode of communication being facebook and whatsapp. Through it all, we miss each other. Until the next time when the time will stand still, the moments will fall away and we will meet like it were yesterday.
Until next time.....

No comments:
Post a Comment